Saturday, April 12, 2008

Definitely overdue for an update! Just seems I don't have much time for the computer lately. ;-)

Magnus is great! He is quite chatty and if his parrot chatter is any indication of how much he speaks human, I am in trouble!

He lands fabulously now - he has a few landing spots and he knows where they are. I coax him to come to me and he does, nine times out of ten...landing perfectly every time. Sometimes he flies to me without me calling, which is fine. That's why I wanted to keep him flighted so he got to make some decisions on his own. I just am discouraging him from landing on my head! If I hear him coming, I hold up my finger and he lands there no problem, then I tell him "come to me, good boy!" so he starts to learn the connection between the words and his actions. We've not started any formal flight training just yet. Soon, though.

He tells me when he's ready for bed, too. If its getting close to bedtime, and someone is on the steps to go upstairs he goes right to them for a ride up there. We went to the vet on Thursday morning and she said he needs to go to bed closer to 7 (he'd been going by 9). I am going to am for 8pm. The other night he went to bed at 11 because my husband couldn't get him to go upstairs, (I wasn't home) and he was definitely grumpy the next day.

The vet visit went well. She started out seeming a little critical of the fact that I ordered a bird "on the web", but as she heard the answers to her questions and actually saw Magnus her opinion changed. She was very, very impressed by the breeder and how she raised him. She even wrote down her name and website, and told me to make sure I told Sherri how happy she was. She was thrilled that I did my homework and let him stay flighted, gave him a sepatate sleeping cage, encourage foraging, etc.

Sherri was right about how he plays! He makes me laugh. He has a Beady Ball attached to the arches on top of his cage and likes to attack it. I've seen him flip upside down a couple times, screaming at it. This afternoon, my husband was like "Get him! He's stuck! He's stuck!" I just laughed - he wasn't stuck, he was playing. It took a while for me to convince him, but he really was playing. It was funny!

He has this foraging treasure chest and I put some dried pasta (which he loves!) in it and he got it open the very first time he tried! I was amazed! He didn't even bother with the toy, until he saw me put those snacks in there. Little bugger!

He really enjoys foraging. I wrap little pieces of nuts or pasta or whatever up in unbleached cupcake papers and tie it with string, putting it around the cage or on top of the fridge for him to find. He goes crazy! Loves it, no matter whats in it.

I also made this foraging mix in a bowl. Dried bananas, mango and strawberries, goji berries, pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, dried pasta and alphabets, and sprinkled with some herbs - he loves it! It's good for when I'm going out, to keep him occupied.

He does great in his Aviator Harness, too. Yesterday I took him out in the yard, and he was so busy watching the birds, and listening to them chirp. He walked around on the grass and perched on the fence. He also flew a little, and didn't have any problem - although, I do want to get a longer lead for him to go further and fly more. (No outside pics, sorry!)

No comments: